23 May Are You Ready for the Next Big One?
As Californians, we are always on the lookout for the next big earthquake. The San Andreas Fault runs along the entire length of the state, making California highly susceptible to earthquakes. In fact, California has around 10,000 earthquakes a year.
Since our state is so prone to shaking, it is important for all of us to be prepared for the next big quake. Here are some tips to help keep you ready for the next big earthquake:
- Have an earthquake plan ready. This way, you will have a better idea of how to react when an earthquake happens.
- Make sure large objects like bookcases or china hutches are bolted to studs in the wall so they cannot fall over during a quake.
- Locate a spot in every room of your house where you can find shelter during a quake. This means a place where nothing can fall on you.
- Have a supply of 3 gallons of water per person, canned food, an up-to-date first aid kit, and flashlights in an accessible place.
- Know how to shut off your gas and water mains.